Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MALE FEMINISTS?


by Annie
Feminism is a movement and a body of ideas developed by, for, and about women. Yes, men have become more aware of the importance of hearing women’s voices; they have started defended women’s rights a little more, but can men be feminists? There are too many differences between the sexes, and although men’s understanding of the feminist movement is necessary for improving the feminist causes, they are not women and so men will never be able to relate to women.

I am not saying that men can’t support the feminist movement as pro-feminists, I am just saying that men can’t be called feminist or identify themselves as feminists because they have never been women and will never experience the world as women do. The word "feminism" is reserved for women!

In my opinion, when men try to call themselves feminist they are just trying to take over a movement for women, as if they don’t already control most of the world, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spoken like a true feminist. hahaha Just playin'.

Any man can be labeled a feminist as much as a woman can. You say that since men are not women, men are unable to identify with the female condition. Men, you say, cannot "relate to women" and understand them enough to be called a feminist.

That is bullshark! Women don't even understand themselves. Men don't understand themselves either. If feminism is a movement which stresses female agendas over any male one's, then you're right. I could never be a feminist, because as a penis wearer, I'm for the survival and preservation of my gender.

But if feminism is for equality of the sexes, pure and honest parity, then I am a feminist. As a man, I don't have to understand women. Any one woman is much too complex and unique for me to 1) understand her completely and 2) understand women in general. But as long as I try to understand women, and as long as I treat womankind with an open heart, I am more feminist than you yourself. hahaha